The reading list was originally put together in 2011 and since then there have been an amazing number of new books and updated editions. So the list has had an overhaul and is now all updated to the new Award with the newest editions.
So here’s a little reading list post with a few Ptlls books and a bit more detail below about two classics in particular.
Ptlls reading list:
- The Award in Education and Training – updated from Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector: The New Award by Ann Gravells plus a Kindle edition
- Teaching Today A Practical Guide Fifth Edition by Geoff Petty
- Achieving Your Award in Education and Training by Mary Francis and Jim Gould
- Planning and Enabling Learning in the Lifelong Learning Sector by Ann Gravells and Susan Simpson also for Kindle
- Teaching, Tutoring and Training in the Lifelong Learning Sector (Achieving QTLS Series) by Susan Wallace also for Kindle
- Teaching and Training in Lifelong Learning by Armitage
- Equality and Diversity in the Lifelong Learning Sector by Ann Gravells and Susan Simpson
- Practical Teaching: a Guide to Teaching in the Education and Training Sector by Linda Wilson
- Making Learning Happen: a Guide for Post Compulsory Education by Phil Race
- Passing Assessments for the Award in Education and Training by Ann Gravells also for Kindle
Chief among these is Ann Gravells with The Award in Education and Training – which was updated from Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector: The New Award and also has a Kindle edition.
For all courses this is going to be mandatory reading. Your college library should have copies if it is but don’t rely on your public library to stock it, mine doesn’t. It is a lovely slim volume, 120 pages. The table of contents shown on Amazon doesn’t do it justice. There’s a lot to be said for it being aimed specifically at the Award/Ptlls and also at people new to the world of teaching. It has a list of abbreviations in the back for example.
Also likely to be mandatory reading is Teaching Today A Practical Guide Fifth Edition by Geoff Petty. This is a heftier tome but an invaluable resource that covers not only the Award/Ptlls but compulsory education as well. All I would say on this one is watch the edition: if you’ve got the most up to date on but your tutor has an older one they’ve had for a while you may have page number issues. Because it is a bit more expensive you could probably trawl the charity bookshops.
Leave a comment if there are any others you have been recommended or know of. There’s also a list of books for creativity and inspiration that you might like. The links to all these books are through Amazon and are affiliate links which means that by buying through them you are supporting the site. If you don’t want to then don’t follow the link, just google the title. But if you do: thank you.